Thursday, October 2, 2008

Snow Flower & The Secret Fan

Online Book and Movie Fan Club

When we chose this book by Lisa See for one of our book club picks, I wasn't actually very excited. But the ancient secret code - "nu shu" - invented and used by Chinese women caught my interest. It reminded me of Anita Diamant's "The Red Tent." And I loved that book.

This novel takes place in 19th century China, and tells the story of two girls paired as "old sames" - an emotional match to last them throughout their lives. The two women speak of their footbinding experiences, arranged marriages, the joys and tragedies of motherhood... and more....


Until a huge misunderstanding threatens the very core of their friendship.

***

Not a thick book by any means, I expected to breeze through it. But I was mistaken... there were so many emotions to process... so many trials and tribulations... You can't read it too quickly because you find yourself asking yourself, "What would I have done?"

Definitely a recommended read.


Wanna play? Hop on over to Blog Catalog to join our group - you can even subscribe to group discussions so you don't miss anything. Watcha waiting for? Let us know what book or movie YOU would like to talk about!

Dette

Technorati Tags Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

blog comments powered by Disqus
 

On the Rocks © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness