Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Thousand Splendid Suns

It really is splendid. Indeed it is.

Okay - seriously. I just finished listening to this audio book - and while it has a really good story line and all...

The book drags!

And please - sorrow after sorrow after sorrow... There is only so much I can deal with, give me a little bit of hope, some kind of light, in between. Did my heart ache? Yes. Could I imagine myself living as those women had to? No, never. Did it make me feel selfish? Completely.

After we read "The Kite Runner" last year, we wondered how Khaled Hosseini would be able to top it. But the book club girls and I had heard that some people liked "A Thousand Splendid Suns" even better than "The Kite Runner!"

Not me. No Laila jo, I'm sorry. Not me.

I don't regret reading it - it's not a bad book at all. It just didn't meet my expectations, unfair expectations, nonetheless - comparing it to Kite Runner and all....

But now that I've finally finished it, I think I'm going to step away from novels for a bit so I can dive into a world with Anita Blake... Now THERE'S a page-turner!!
blog comments powered by Disqus
 

On the Rocks © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness